merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
Story Proof: The Science Behind the Startling Power of Story - Kendall Haven This was a required text for my Storytelling class, and I have to say, it wasn't a favorite by any means. I found parts of this to be awfully dry in places, particularly chapter nine when the author is relating the findings of all these different studies, and terribly technical when he's talking about how the brain processes stories. I also felt like the purpose of this book was kind of a "preaching to the choir" for me personally, because I obviously feel storytelling and stories are important, or I would a) be working with kids b) want to be a Youth Services librarian or c) be taking this course. I feel like the general gist of this book could have been achieved for the purpose of this class by simply reading some articles.That being said, here's what the author was trying to get across: stories have the power to catch your attention and draw you in. They are easier to comprehend than other types of nonfiction/technical writing, and by exposing children to stories, you're setting them up for an easier time of it in school when it comes time for them to start writing. Stories even translate to higher math/science skills. So, in a nutshell, here's a one line sentence to sum up this book: Read to your kids!