merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
Sisters of Glass - Stephanie Hemphill Thank you to Random House Children's Books and Alfred A. Knopf BFYR (via NetGalley) for the e-galley of Sisters of Glass.Maria is the youngest daughter of a glass-blowing family on the island of Murano. Per her father's will, she's supposed to marry into the nobility, even though her older sister, Giovanna, should be the one to do so. Her life is further complicated when her family hires a glassblower, Luca, to help them, for Maria finds herself drawn to Luca in a way that definitely goes against her father's wishes. She becomes torn between performing her duty and going after her own heart.When I first read the synopsis for this book, I was really intrigued. I thought we'd get a lot of atmospheric prose about the art of glassblowing and the island of Murano, and I wanted to know how things would work out for Maria, and if she'd get to follow her heart or have to submit to her family's wishes. But reading this was just sort of an indifferent experience for me; while there were some really great phrases used to describe Luca's glassblowing ability and Maria's feelings for the art form, there was no atmospheric prose regarding the surroundings, and I never really connected to Maria. I found that the story was just kind of flat, and it got to the point where I was only reading to finish the book (which is not very long), rather than because I was enjoying the story and wanted to see how things ended. While I liked the resolution, I sort of felt like all the problems could have been figured out well before they were, without the unnecessary heartache and stress Maria goes through. I don't know. This just wasn't that great of a story for me personally.Also, this is touted as being written in verse, but it's really not. Instead it was like the author took actual sentences and broke them up into chunks, so you'd get short phrases. For me personally, the "verse" format wasn't useful here at all; she could have easily just written actual paragraphs and sentences and achieved the same effect.Sisters of Glass will be released in North America on March 27th, 2012.