merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
The Super Spud Trilogy - Michael Diack 3.5/5 stars.Imagine a world where potato chips - or crisps - have their own secret world, where they go on adventures, fight in wars, and travel in space. That is precisely the world that Michael Diack has created with his book, The Super Spud Trilogy. When I was first contacted by Mr. Diack for a possible review, I was really excited because, not only was this the first book I'd ever been asked to review by an actual author, but the synopsis of the book sounded like a lot of fun, and something that would make me laugh. And that's exactly what it was.Mr. Diack has created a very imaginative world, where Super Spuds (i.e. the bags of chips) live in landfills (or rubbish tips, if you're British, as these crisps are) and have their own communities where they're ruled by kings or queens, come in a multitude of flavors (some of which sounded downright gross, I have to admit), but have the ability to walk and talk just like you and me. There's just one catch: if a human sees them, they die instantly. And boy, is there a lot of death in this book! And the deaths are handled with such an irreverence that the reader can't help but laugh through it all. One thing I learned very quickly in this book was not to get attached to anyone because no one is safe. If they aren't killed by birds, they're caught up in wars between neighboring rubbish tips, or participating in death-defying (or not-so-defying) activities. Let me put it this way: the life of a Super Spud is definitely not boring!There is also a ton of tongue-in-cheek humor, as well as references to loads of famous movies or shows, from Top Gun to X-Files to Star Wars, just to name a few. You can't turn a page without running into some sort of reference to something else, and it just added to the overall feel of this book. Yes, death is prominent, but the book is really quite lighthearted when it comes down to it. I admit to laughing out loud several times while reading.The Super Spud Trilogy is an overall enjoyable read, full of many adventures, interesting characters, and loads and loads of humor. It's not deep or thought-provoking, and isn't going to grab hold of your emotions and not let go, but that's not really what the author was going for. If you're looking for something different, and enjoy spotting pop culture references, as well as reading things that make you laugh, then you'd probably enjoy this. I know that I did!A copy of this book was provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.