merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
Something to Prove: The Great Satchel Paige Vs. Rookie Joe Dimaggio (Carolrhoda Picture Books) - Robert Skead, Floyd Cooper As a huge baseball fan, I was surprised that I'd never heard that DiMaggio faced Satchel Paige once upon a time. I liked this story, particularly how it focused on just how great Paige was, and how even the white players who faced him gave him due credit. It's unfortunate that racial relations were what they were, because Paige very much deserved to play in the huge stadiums in front of thousands of fans.One thing that struck me in the writing of this book, though, was the vocabulary used. Words like "barnstorming" and "flummoxed" aren't in my students' vocabulary at all, and while I'm always excited about books that teach them new words, I think this one would definitely be something that would need to be read aloud so that the reader could discuss the word choices with the students. I think it would be too difficult of a book for my readers who gravitate toward the picture books.Still, this is a very well put together book, and I'm glad I gave it a read! I will keep it in mind when it comes time to put together my next book order.***To see more of my reviews, please visit me @ Read and Reviewed!