merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
Trinkets - Kirsten Smith I really enjoyed Trinkets. Going in, I was expecting to be put off by these three teenage girls who steal, especially when I really wound up not liking Pretty Crooked, which had a main character that also stole, albeit for different reasons. But instead of a book that focused only on the stealing, we got a look at three girls who have their own sets of issues, who ultimately become friends. It was this journey from semi-acquaintances to really good friends that I enjoyed most about the story.The book is told in alternating viewpoints, so we get equal time with Elodie, Tabitha, and Moe. Each girl has a very distinct style and way of telling their stories: Elodie uses verse, Moe uses journal entries, while Tabitha's words are told in your usual typical story style. Aside from their way of writing, each girl's voice is also distinct. I was surprised at just how much I enjoyed all three, although Moe was definitely my favorite.There is a lot going on in this book. Tabitha's parents are pretending to be fine when they're really not, Elodie's mom died of cancer and her dad remarried someone much younger who Elodie has trouble connecting with, and Moe's parents were killed in a car accident when she was young, with her and her older brother coming to live with their aunt. The book really tries to tackle why each girl steals (and, in Moe's case, why she also dresses goth and hangs with people your mother would not approve of). While I liked watching the girls' evolution and very much enjoyed the twists and turns throughout, I do think the ending was perhaps a bit too neat and clean, but in the end it didn't wind up bothering me too much.Trinkets is a book that tries to tackle a lot of issues, and for the most part, succeeds really well. I adored the girls and the way they came to trust and depend on each other, and their discoveries about what it means to be a real friend. There's a lot of humor mixed in with the girls' darker thoughts, making this compelling and entertaining in equal measures. I'm very glad I gave it a read!***To see more of my reviews, please visit me @ Read and Reviewed!