merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
The Last Academy - Anne Applegate I have to admit that I was sort of afraid to read The Last Academy, due to some not-so-positive reviews that were populating the blogosphere. Luckily, I went ahead and took the plunge, because I am definitely one of those in the minority who really enjoyed this book. Don't get me wrong - I can see why it would strike some as weird or "bad" - but for me, the atmosphere and use of mythology were enough to keep me fully engaged in the characters and plot and eagerly turning the pages until the end.Camden was an interesting main character. She's having to deal with a fallout with her best friend, Lia, as well as adjusting to a new school clear across the country from where she grew up. While she did strike me as a bit younger than she was supposed to be, I still ultimately liked how she took the steps necessary to come to terms with her life and the strange occurrences that happen at the school. I don't want to spoil anything, because part of this book's draw for me personally was the way the suspense was written. While I figured out what was going on fairly early on, I still enjoyed watching Camden's journey into the truth and how it impacts her future.One thing that was done incredibly well in this story was the way the setting was written. You get a definite spooky vibe from the school and its faculty, and the way the author involved the paranormal aspects into the plot were first-rate. Camden is well aware that there's something not right with her new school, and I liked the way she continued to delve into the students' stories and try to figure out what was going on with her classmates and herself. Again, it becomes pretty apparent early on what the ultimate truth is going to be, but I still found plenty within the pages to keep me invested in her story.The Last Academy was a good mix of suspense, mythology, and paranormal. It's a quick read that ultimately left me quite satisfied, not only with the plot but also with Camden's personal journey. If you like spooky reads full of atmosphere, and don't mind figuring out the "twist" before the main character does, then I think you'll like this one quite a bit. I know I did!An e-galley was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.***To see more of my reviews, please visit me @ Read and Reviewed!