merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
Wrapped - Jennifer Bradbury 3.5/5 stars.Agnes Wilkins is about to make her debut in 1815 London, and has already caught the eye of her eligible-bachelor neighbor, Lord Showalter. After an invitation to a mummy unwrapping party, where she steals an item from the mummy, she's thrust into a mystery involving ancient Egyptian history and its potential impact on the war with Napoleon Bonaparte. Along the way she discovers that perhaps her life isn't quite as laid out for her as she'd always assumed.I enjoyed reading Agnes' story. I found her to be a fun narrator who wasn't afraid to buck tradition (sometimes a tad TOO much), and loved the adventures she and Caedmon go on while they try to solve the mystery of the item she pocketed during the party. However, she definitely had her flaws as well, which made her seem a bit self-absorbed and clueless when it came down to it. She was so sure of her convictions and was unable to believe she might be wrong. Also, the author's idea of using her to talk about the appropriation and showing of ancient artifacts wasn't appropriate for the time period; it was the one thing about Agnes that bothered me, because I just can't see anyone from that time saying the things she was saying. But that's really my only major complaint.Truthfully, Agnes reminded me of Y.S. Lee's Mary Quinn, in terms of the very nontraditional ways they went about solving their particular mysteries. (And Caedmon could very well be compared to James; this is not a knock on anyone or meant to raise any eyebrows, though, as I feel like I'm more familiar with the similarities because I've read the first Mary Quinn book quite recently.) This book, while full of actual historical details, ignores some others in a way that might annoy some people (especially when it comes to Agnes sneaking around without her chaperone), but I was able to overlook them and just enjoy the story. And I kind of loved that Agnes was such a complete and utter Jane Austen (or A Lady) fan; her spouting of Austen quotes at inappropriate times was kind of endearing.All in all this was a decent mystery (although I'd guessed the villain well before the reveal), but I enjoyed it more for the coming of age-type story, and the romance, which was a reverse Jane Austen, if you will.