merin

Progress: 40 %
Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages
The Butterfly Clues - Kate Ellison Thank you to EgmontUSA (via NetGalley) for the e-galley of The Butterfly Clues.I have mixed feelings upon finishing this book. On the one hand, it is probably a great example of what a family goes through when it loses someone (in this case, the son). Lo's parents have completely lost touch with reality, her mom living in a haze of anti-depressants and sleeping pills, and her father working 16+ hours a day. Neither of them realize exactly what Lo is dealing with, or even try to parent her at all. Lo is also clearly mentally ill - she has OCD and is a kleptomaniac - to the point where she can barely function in the world. (Let me just say that, by the end of the book, I was thoroughly sick of "tap, tap, tap, banana" and all her other various methods of dealing with her life. To say it was driving me nuts wouldn't be an understatement, which probably means that the author depicted what it's like to be mentally ill perfectly.) Lo has taken to wandering aimlessly thorough a part of Cleveland called Neverland, and its here that she winds up right smack in the middle of the murder of a stripper named Sapphire. It's also here that she meets Flynt, who she can't help being completely infatuated with because he's so different.I felt like the mystery was just okay, especially considering that I figured out who the villain was, as well as the truth behind Lo's brother WAY earlier than Lo did herself. That being said, I liked how Lo continued to try to seek the truth regarding Sapphire's death, even if she took some decidedly stupid risks to do so, especially since it seemed like no one else was willing to do so. She was definitely a determined young woman, and that's always good to see. I'm not sure that she's necessarily a "heroine" figure, though, because I certainly can't advocate that high school girls take after Lo and put themselves in as much danger as she found herself in.All in all, I thought this was a decent book that I liked well enough. I think some aspects of the mystery could have been stronger, to make it harder for the reader to figure things out, and I hope that some of the typos littered throughout the ARC were cleaned up in the final version.