merin

Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages

Ripper

Ripper - Amy Carol Reeves 3.5/5 stars.After her mother's sudden death, Arabella "Abbie" Sharp is brought to London to live with her grandmother. When it's decided that Abbie needs something to help her better appreciate her life of leisure, she's sent to volunteer at Whitechapel Hospital. Little does anyone know that Whitechapel is about to become a dangerous place: for it's 1888, and Jack the Ripper has just started his murdering spree....This was a thoroughly engrossing read, and a solid mystery. I enjoyed the author's take on Jack the Ripper; the whole time you're wondering who is responsible, when he'll strike again, and who will be his next victim. Abbie was a very headstrong girl, and I very much enjoyed reading this story from her point of view. There were some very unique things done with this story, especially in the way the author used Abbie's story to weave her idea of the Ripper and his crimes.I also enjoyed the secondary characters: William and Simon, the two doctors Abbie is drawn to, Sister Josephine, the stern but caring nurse, Mary, the Irish immigrant trying to find a better life for herself, etc. I felt like they were all fairly fleshed out, and I enjoyed the glimpses of their back stories, and Abbie's growing relationships with all of them.As for the dealings with Jack the Ripper, they were, quite frankly, really creepy at times, especially when Abbie finds herself in close proximity to them. I will say that there's a bit of a paranormal aspect to this book in terms of Abbie herself, but won't say anything else to avoid spoilers. What I WILL say is that the story of Jack the Ripper was done in a really creative way, with a bunch of plot twists and turns I didn't see coming. As I said above, the mystery aspect of this was really solid.I hadn't realized that this book sets itself up for a sequel, but the ending made that quite apparent. It wasn't cliff-hangery so much as very open-ended, but there are some definite threads of the story that have yet to be sewn up. I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment.An e-galley of this title was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.