merin

Fangirl
Rainbow Rowell
Progress: 46/433 pages

Shooting Stars

Shooting Stars - Allison Rushby Thank you to Bloomsbury Children's Books (via NetGalley) for the e-galley of Shooting Stars.Zo Jo (the zo stands for paparazzo) is a famous member of the paparazzi, and is known for her ability to get into places no one else can, due to her age (sixteen) and her small stature. Her goal is to earn enough money "papping" (and this word annoyed me, because it made me think of things that were decidedly NOT photography-related) to be able to attend portrait school. Because of her desire for said money, she takes on a job that she doesn't actually want to do: following teenage heartthrob Ned Hartnett to an exclusive retreat near Boston and taking pictures of him from the inside. What follows is her own eye-opening experience at the retreat, not only involving Ned, whom she has a crush on, but also involving herself and her own life.I have to admit that I was not the hugest fan of Jo for the first half of this book, and that was probably part of the point. I felt like she was being willfully blind to her own issues, and unwilling to face the fact that "papping" is indeed a fairly sleezy occupation. However, she really started to grow on me once the V-ball game happened (and even a bit before that), and I couldn't help but cheer for her as the rest of the story played out. Toward the end of the book I was even laughing out loud at some of her antics, and thoroughly enjoyed the ending; it was so cute that I sort of wanted to draw hearts all over it. The book is very much a personal journey-type story, and it did that extremely well, and in a very entertaining and interesting way. Jo was a very real character, and the author managed to portray her perfectly.I have to say, however, that I SO called the fact that "Ned" wasn't actually Ned. Saw that coming pretty early on, and was glad to be right. :)This book will be released on February 28th, 2012.